About the workshop
Want to learn to code? We can teach you, and we do this for free 😃
All, to make technology more approachable for women.
How it works:
Rails Girls London is an event (well actually it’s a hands on workshop!), that runs over a day and a half, Friday evening, from 18:30 (we finish around 21:30) and Saturday from 9:00 to 18:00. To understand how we split the time of the event you can see the timetable below.
We are now expanded to 300 people per event! That is around 110 coaches and 190 students ( you can imagine how much networking one can do with that 😉 ).
Students come from all kinds of professions, backgrounds and even countries, yes, amazingly people fly over to UK just for our event (a lot of times we even get coaches coming from different countries just for this, we love you guys!).
Our coaches, are all volunteers, in their day to day jobs they are all software engineers, working hard on making all that awesomeness you see online. You can see list of coaches are coming to the event below. We are adding new ones every day, so check again after. Some of our coaches have attended Rails Girls London as students at some point, since then they got a job as a developer, and now they come back to teach others 😃
At the event, we put students in pairs, and assign them a coach. Dont panic, we make sure that the two students in a pair are of the same level. And no, you dont need to have any previous knowledge of programming. Your coach will explain everything starting from the basics. By the end of the workshop you will have your own website online (and you will have that proud feeling of achievement probably as well) 😃
And to make this all is even more awesome, we have amazing support from our sponsors! Thanks to them, we can make this all happen, and have beautiful comfortable venues, full catering and the cool goodies (you’ll see what we mean). You can see the list of our sponsors below, and talk to them all at the event, they are incredible!
Got a question?
We are always happy to answer it!
We have multiple channels and many awesome people to help you.
- You need to bring in your own computer both days. You will also need to have the admin rights to it so we can install Ruby & Rails on Friday.
- You will need to bring in an ID to confirm you are over 18. If you are under 18 you must be accompanied by an adult. (Please let us know if this is the case, as we will need to put their name on the list as well)
- You don’t need to have any previous programming experience.
- Rails Girls London is run by volunteers. We aim to run it every half a year, but sometimes it takes a bit longer between the workshops, so we never know in advance when the next event is going to take place. We are trying extremly hard to make sure they happen often though 🙂
- We post a lot of useful info on our slack channel, please join Rails Girls London Slack. We will also be communicating a lot through slack during the event, so make sure you are on it.
- One of Rails Girls London’s main goals is to run workshops where women in London and the rest of the UK have the opportunity to learn Ruby on Rails. The workshops are the result of the effort of many volunteers, who care about getting women involved in programming. This is one area where women have shown much aptitude, but represent only a small portion of working programmers.
- If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the Rails Girls London organisers or use our mailing list.